- Duration Half day
- Activities Art
- Trip Type Solo/Group
- Best Time All around the year
- Start/End KTM/KTM
- Location Kathmandu
- Language English
- Hotel Pickup Available
In Nepal, artists were usually influenced by tibetan arts for making the picture of Hindu and Buddhist deities. The history of Thangka painting in Nepal can be traced back during the 7-11th century.The thangka painting carries great significance in terms of illustrating the meaning of Buddha’s life, understanding of various deities and bodhisattvas, Wheel of life, Mandalas and enlightenment process etc.It represent in depth spiritual meanings through art.
The thangka painting is very different from regular oil painting, acrylic painting or watercolor painting. It requires specific skills and materials are made of silk or cotton and done either by appliqué or embroidery. Thankas are painted on cotton or silk. The paint consists of water soluble dyes. Both mineral and organic pigments are used and made solid with herb and glue solution.
Highlights of Thanka Painting Class
- Learn the most aesthetic painting and illustration of Hindu, Buddhist deities and natural scenes
- Explore the spiritual meaning and important teaching tools depicting Art of enlightenment, buddha’s life, various deities surrounding the central god
- Thangka making has its own making process and requires specific materials, it’s strictly governed by iconographic rules
- Experience painting awakening the mind and energizing consciousness, it represents ecstasy of meditation
- Learning Thangka art requires good concentration, focus and dedication
- Thangka depicts the vague meaning of life, commercial thangka painting is computerized and might be fake. We provide you with an opportunity to know and discuss with the master before buying genuine thangka products.
- In the Newa community Thangka is also named as paubhas.
- Thangka painting requires dedication and focus, with your commitment you can easily learn thangka painting so if you want to extend the package for a month we can provide you an opportunity to choose according to your preferences.
- We strongly encourage you to buy thangka products as recommended by Thangka painting masters
- Thangka product price might vary according to its size, material used and by different other factors
- if you want overnight stay near bhaktapur durbar square or at nagarkot we can extend your package accordingly at extra cost
- Pickup and drop off service
- An English speaking guide for facilitating you throughout Thanka making.
- Necessary items for workshop
- Expenses for buying Thanka
- Food and beverages
- Tips and gratiuties
- Accommodation in Kathmandu
You will be picked up from your respective hotels.
Stop At: Changu Narayan
Changu Narayan is a beautiful destination located at the northern side of bhaktapur district, This place is very famous for the most ancient and oldest temple of Nepal and surrounded in a peace and calm area amidst the city area, Thanka centers master will teach you the basics of thangka paintings.
After completion of an activity, We will be heading back to our respective hotels.
Thanka Painting Class: Frequently Asked Questions
What is Thangka painting?
Thangka painting is a specific kind of painting which depicts spiritual meaning of life, This painting is governed by iconographic rules and different materials are required, Mainly six major colors are used which are made by organic herbs,This painting is applique or embroidered.
Can I get to learn thangka painting ?
It requires dedication and strong motivation, Thangka painting includes two major paintings i.e. Mandalas and illustration of deities. The Thangkas paintings are basically painted with a certain aim or to make understanding of the spiritual meaning and represent religious insights, so before getting into painting knowledge you have to take some orientation sessions by masters. However, we have designed this program to get an idea about thangka painting.
How long does the workshop last for?
The orientation by master depends on the queries you keep, they are happy to give you answers for your queries. The Artist will help you to understand their ideas for drawing paintings and shortly describe the story behind it. It’s almost a 1 hours workshop.
Can I Extend my Thangka painting workshop period?
We provide you with an opportunity to extend your package for a specific training period with masters, please inform us earlier.
Can I bring my children on this tour? DO i need to register separately for children?
Yes, we strongly suggest bringing your children on this tour because thangka painting itself is related to the special painting for the art of living and is spiritually related to the way of living, the arts and skills both will help your children to aspire for the right path. In case if you are planning to bring minors below 5 years old then no separate registration is required but make sure they won’t make much noise or irritate you, please pre-inform us if you are bringing your children on this tour.
Can I buy Thangka paintings?
Yes, Thangka paintings are usually handmade and require a lot of time to complete it. Once you get knowledge of Thangka paintings you will get to know it better. The price might vary according to quality and materials used on it.
What kind of programs do you offer for Thangka paintings?
We offer you a 1 months Thangka course with a master and you can extend the course according to your interest.
What specific knowledge do I need to have for learning Thangka painting?
The art is mainly based on religion and spiritual insights, representations and references must be commensurate with strict guidelines laid out in Buddhist scripture and ideologies. The artist should have sufficient religious understanding, knowledge, and background to make precise and correct Thanka.